Why should cell phones be allowed in schools
January 28, 2016 | By The Veloxity Team |
Should cell phones be allowed in schools?
Cell phones have established themselves as an absolutely indispensable item for students in schools these days. Parents and staff certainly know that cell phones can have amazing benefits for children today. Nonetheless, allowing kids to have cell phones in schools has remained a controversial topic the past decade.
Here’s our take on why cell phone should in fact be allowed at schools:
Cell phones ensure a child’s safety
Believe it or not, cell phones keep children safe. How?
- In case of any emergency children can instantly get in touch with you and seek help.
- Students can call 911 or other hotlines in case of an emergency.
- With unforeseen violence, a student can promptly inform school authorities.
Easy and prompt communication
Cell phones have literally empowered parents to keep a watch on their children. One quick call or text message and you get to know the immediate whereabouts of children. Of course, there’s always the call home for a forgotten lunch, homework project, or change of after school plans.
Information and knowledge at your finger-tips
Teachers often complain about students playing and fidgeting with smartphone apps while in class. Additionally, some parents might label phone apps as addictive and “bad”. On the contrary, there are several apps that could be very beneficial for educational purposes.
Over 70% of schools have reversed cell phone bans and it doesn’t come as a surprise given that students use cell phones:
- To discuss homework with friends.
- For internet research.
- As a calculator and stopwatch for science experiments.
- To keep the track of time elapsed during exams.
- As a spell check or dictionary.
- Use organization apps
Alternative thought to conventional methods
Millennials usually get bored with the conventional methods of teaching and tend to be less attentive in class. As a result their academics suffer. Students with mobile phones find learning more exciting with great mobile apps.
- Students learn faster through useful mobile apps.
- Students tend to develop a level of respect for the teachers and school authorities, with the encouragement and trust being exhibited by the school in motivating students to bring their own mobile devices.
- However, students found misusing the devices shall be deprived from using them and the mobile devices would be confiscated by school authorities.
A stepping stone towards professional Life
Right from ordering designer clothes, vegetables, groceries, gadgets, movie tickets to checking business mails, searching and applying for jobs, cell phones have literally defined a new dimension in how the various facets of professional world operates and functions.
So how do you prepare students for future challenges without introducing them to the cell phone use in school? It is crucial and important that school students get acquainted with the world of opportunities right at their finger-tips. This is the predominant reason why more and more schools across the geography are proactively working towards motivating students to carry mobile phones to school premises.
A practical problem: How to keep cell phones charged up?
Battery life is short lived. A charging solution for 1:1 technology schools, universities, colleges, and other campuses is a LockerPower charging kiosk. The LockerPower kiosk features individual lockers that can charge virtually all phones and tablets. Students and staff can stay fully charged and always connected.